Just because the seasons have turned, doesn't mean we have to stay cooped up inside all winter. Instead, get out and enjoy some fresh crisp air at one of Knox County's many parks and trails. Here are some tips about dressing for bring out and about in the cold:
- Do NOT wear cotton clothing: cotton will absorb sweat and hold the chill in the air on you body
- DO wear clothing that is sweat-wicking and will help transfer sweat off of your skin to avoid hypothermia
- Wear layers: even though it is cold out, you may get warm; have thin layers and an outer waterproof insulating layer as to not shock your body temp when taking them off
- Tight base layer: this will help lock in your body heat before heading out in the cold
- Consider your terrain: is the sidewalk you will take clear or is it a path that is especially uneven when it snows? If the path is clear and dry, stick to your regular tennis shoes with a pair of insulating socks. If your path is wet or uneven, wear shoes with a ticker rubber soul and waterproof material (like hiking boots or short winter boots with good arch support).
- Hat: this is debatably the most important, yet most often forgotten, article of clothing to remember when going out into the cold --- especially for any extended period of time
Write something about yourself. No need to be fancy, just an overview.