Spring Time Spotlight
Even during the cool, breezy days of early spring, there are still activities you can enjoy! Whether outside getting fresh air, or inside escaping a downpour, there are activities in this Bucket List that will keep the whole family entertained.
Winter Bucket List
Winter is such a fun season from beginning to end. First, we start off with holiday celebrations, then we end with a winter wonderland and activities only see once a year. Get out (or stay in) and enjoy some wintertime magic!
Fall is such a wonderful time to be outside and enjoy all the season has to offer. Take some ideas from our Fall Bucket List to create your own!
Green Space and Multi-modal Survey
Please take a moment to complete a survey to express your opinions about green space and multi-modal trail expansion in Knox County and our neighboring counties.
Survey Link: https://mohicangreenway.com/project-survey
The Knox County Local Food Council is back at it again for their second annual green project, Edible Knox! In this program, many local businesses participate by planting edible items in planters in front of their business. These planters will have veggies and herbs that can help to freshen up any meal or snack. All fresh items are free for the taking - as soon as you see a ripe veggie or hardy herb, take a little or a lot. Whatever your recipe calls for, there is surely an Edible Knox planter around town that has what you're looking for!
Need recipe ideas? Here are two links to help you get started: Get Healthy or Local Food and Aging
It's time to hit the trails!
Saturday, April 13, 2019 was the nation’s seventh annual Opening Day for Trails! This year, the Knox County Park District hosted a fun day of family-filled activities at the CA&C Depot in Mount Vernon. The event was from 9 am - 4 pm. Community members were encouraged to bring thier bike or walking shoes. To learn more at Rails-to-Trails Conservancy’s official Opening Day website: railstotrails.org/openingday OR visit the Knox County Park District's website: https://knoxcountyparks.org/
Just because the seasons have turned, doesn't mean we have to stay cooped up inside all winter. Instead, get out and enjoy some fresh crisp air at one of Knox County's many parks and trails. Here are some tips about dressing for bring out and about in the cold:
- Do NOT wear cotton clothing: cotton will absorb sweat and hold the chill in the air on you body
- DO wear clothing that is sweat-wicking and will help transfer sweat off of your skin to avoid hypothermia
- Wear layers: even though it is cold out, you may get warm; have thin layers and an outer waterproof insulating layer as to not shock your body temp when taking them off
- Tight base layer: this will help lock in your body heat before heading out in the cold
- Consider your terrain: is the sidewalk you will take clear or is it a path that is especially uneven when it snows? If the path is clear and dry, stick to your regular tennis shoes with a pair of insulating socks. If your path is wet or uneven, wear shoes with a ticker rubber soul and waterproof material (like hiking boots or short winter boots with good arch support).
- Hat: this is debatably the most important, yet most often forgotten, article of clothing to remember when going out into the cold --- especially for any extended period of time
Knox County Agricultural News
Want to learn more about agricultural news and events in Knox County? Follow this LINK to our local OSU Extension's blog.
Thanks to our friends at the Knox County OSU Extension office for presenting this PSE training to our Get Healthy Knox Coalition.
Get out and enjoy the beauty of Knox County by biking these routes.